I will catch you really quickly. But stay with me because this gets good. We left Stuart sailed down to Lake worth and found an Anchorage for the night. Our trusty weatherman said that Thursday and Friday would be great for crossing But he didn’t mention Wednesday. Things were going very well and Keith wanted to turn and head east, but I was afraid to cross the Gulf Stream at night incase things got bad. In my mind, if the weatherman had meant Wednesday would be good to cross, he would have said so. We went back and forth all day and finally Keith gave in and let me have my way. We anchored at lake worth before crossing over to the Bahamas. I will admit right now that I was very afraid to cross the Gulf Stream. I wanted to do this during the daytime hours. If things got bad, I wanted to be able to see. As it turns out we were fortunate to have very calm seas.Looking back I should have just let him have his way. But who knew. I will get back to this later.
The crossing actually went very well. Maybe too well…….for Keith. we ended up having to motor all the way. There was no wind to sail. It took us 12 hours to get over to the Bahamas. We arrived around 6 PM and decided to anchor on the border of the Bahamas. Basically we were really out in the middle of nowhere. But our depth was good and it was still another 12 hours to the next good anchorage. We had a good nights sleep and awoke early the next morning to head East to our next destination of great sale cay (pronounced key)
This is where it starts to get good. As Keith was pulling the anchor, I looked out and saw two funnel clouds/water spouts forming. Not what you want to see if you are setting out for a sail. As the morning wore on, we encountered around 20 funnel clouds. Just as two would go away, 2-3 more would form. All of them were in the direction that we needed to go. We had to change our course many times to dodge the funnel clouds. To say we were scared would be an understatement. So for several hours we went one way, then turned and went another direction, only to turn back and try to go in the direction we needed to go in. Just when we thought the storms were starting to abate, another funnel cloud would form. Each time I said aloud “really, again?” Fortunately Mother Nature got tired of wrecking havoc on our minds and gave up. It didn’t hurt that I was praying to God to make them go away! After lunch the skies cleared and we could finally sail without fear. Keith decided we needed some music to calm us down. Let me just say that even Kenny Chesney and Jimmy Buffet couldn’t calm me down. I was wound up tight!
Fast forward 6 hours. now we sit at great sale cay. This was to be an overnight anchorage and then we would press on. Keep in mind that we still need to clear customs, and that’s still 2 days away. We have no wifi here and I have to use my data sparingly. I was able to get an email from our trusty weatherman only to find out that we are expected to have nasty weather for the next 3 days. It’s been brought to my attention that if we had made our crossover on Wednesday night as Keith wanted to, we would be further in our adventures. Don’t you hate it when someone tells you ‘I told you so’? Well, he’s right. I will eat my crow now.
Did you know it’s bad luck to have bananas on a boat? While it mostly pertains to fishing boats, a lot of sailboats and motor boats abide by the rule of no bananas on board. We don’t get bananas often. But recently Keith said he wanted some. So I got some. Didn’t give it much thought. Funny , yesterday while watching funnel cloud after funnel cloud form, I looked down and saw my bananas sitting down below. I got up, went below, got the bananas and chunked them overboard. After about an hour or so, the weather got better and we were able to head where we needed to go. Coincidence? We will never know.
update: after 4 nights at great sale cay, we were finally able to pull up anchor and move. We had a rough, wet sail, but it was better than sitting in that same spot another night. We found a nice anchorage called angelfish point. I had to say it was very pretty. Unfortunately we still hadn’t cleared customs and couldn’t get off our boat. Bummer. Today we made it to Spanish Cay, cleared customs, got our fishing permits (yay) and walked to a beach and collected some interesting sand dollars. We may stay here a day or two. Then we will head to Green Turtle Cay and hang out there a few weeks. The water under our boat, at the moment, is crystal clear. So far, I have seen about 5 sharks. The boat next to us brought in their catch of wahoo, and they knew they would get the handouts. There are some mango snapper under my boat that I intend to catch and eat. I’ve never had mango snapper before. I’ll have to get back with you on how it tastes. Life is good!