The princess and the pea boat life

Remember the story about the princess and the pea? She could feel the pea under 20 mattresses. Well, I’m no princess and we don’t have 20 mattresses but I’m pretty certain I could feel a pea under our new cabin cushions. This is very disappointing to us both. We paid a lot of money to have our 28 yr old cushions replaced. We had found a reputable place that was familiar with making boat cushions. They had made our new sail canvas and we were very pleased with it. After looking through books and books of material, we finally settled on some fabric that we both liked. Yay, finally!  It took them about 7 weeks to make all the cushions. So during that time, we slept and sat on air mattresses.  I should mention that we love the fabric we picked out, and the company did an awesome job making the cushions and making sure the stripes lined up. But I do believe they could have done a better job in recommending the foam that goes inside the cushions. We knew a little bit, but we relied on them to know more. What we ended up with was pretty cushions that don’t hold up well. They have somewhat flattened out over the months. So we have come up with a solution. We ordered 1/2 inch dense foam with the intention of adding it to our existing foam.
Today I have taken all the bottom cushions off, taken the foam out, cut new 1/2 inch foam to match the size of the cushion and adhered one piece on top and one piece on bottom of the existing cushion, stuffed it back in the pouch, zipped it up and BAM! With 1 inch added its now as it should have been to begin with.

new cabin cushions

new cabin cushions

So that took care of the seating in the cabin. We still had to address the cushions we sleep on at night. We talked about ordering a custom made mattress, but that really is a lot of money that we just didn’t want to spend. So we got on the internet again and found some thick, dense foam that is about the size of a twin mattress. We decided to order one, cut it to size, add it to the existing cushions and see how it worked. As it turns out, it works great. But it was only big enough for one of us since our bed is bigger than a twin size, so we ordered another one. Once it comes in, we will cut it to size and both of our beds will be perfect. This idea has saved us a lot of money. This is a good thing because Keith recently decided to hang my rugs outside to air out on a windy day. Well, you can probably see where this is going. Lets just say I have one less rug than I started out with.
Life is still good!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *